Research has shown that moderate activity which raises your heartbeat and makes you feel warm and slightly out of breath for 30 minutes 5 times a week, done in bursts of at least 10 minutes can produce the following benefits:
- Help with losing weight and control
- Improve your circulation hence prevent diabetic complications
- Lower the levels of harmful fats in the blood, cholesterol
- Enable you to cope better with the stresses of everyday life.
- Improve heart and lung health.
Activities may include walking, cycling, swimming, fitness classes and even vigorous housework and gardening. The key thing is that it should make you slightly breathless and be done in bursts of at least 10 mins for a minimum of 150 mins during a week.
Additionally, aim to:
- Reduce periods of time that you are sedentary (sitting)
- Do strength building exercises twice a week (gym, yoga or walking with heavy bags)
Healthwise - Exercise Referral Programme
The Healthwise Exercise Referral Programme is designed to help people with long-term conditions to start exercising safely. Health professionals (GPs, Practice Nurses, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, and Dietitians etc.) can refer suitable patients to the scheme to take part in physical activity sessions to receive specialist advice and support, helping them to overcome barriers to exercise and become more physically active. See: Healthwise GP Referral Health Scheme with Better, York Leisure Centres
Selby - Move it and Lose it
A 24-week service to help with weight loss and increase physical activity for those who have a GP in the Selby district and a BMI of 30 or above. You can self refer using the following link: Move It and Lose It – Inspiring Healthy Lifestyles